Micromodem Software Interface Guides:
- 401040-SIG Micromodem Software Interface Guide
The Micro-modem Software Interface Guide describes the Micromodem’s user interface. It describes modem operation,including configuration, specifies all NMEA commands and messages, and documents all features added since firmware version AUV 0.79.0.1 for the Micromodem 1.0.
The Micromodem-2 Users Guide describes the User Interface for the Micromodem-2. It includes features that are common to both Micromodem-1 and Micromodem-2. Thus, it can be used as a standalone document.
Micromodem Synchronous Navigation Guide:
The Micromodem Synchronous Navigation Guide describes using the Micromodem for passive synchronous navigation
- 401004-SPEC Micromodem Synchronous Navigation Guide
Micromodem 2.0 DSP and FPGA Firmware:
The Micromodem 2.0 firmware can be upgraded via the modem serial port. Programming a Micromodem 2.0 differs from the Micromodem 1.3. Details on how to update the firmware can be found in the 401042-SIG Micromodem 2 Software Interface Guide. The Micromodem 2.0 firmware can be downloaded via a Python script our UpdateFW application. Please contact Keenan Ball at firstname.lastname@example.org for information
- Micromodem 2 DSP Firmware: Version 2.0.33466 is the latest stable and feature-complete general firmware release as of 2021-02-12. This release is for 201005b and newer Micromodem v2.0 with bootloader version 2.0.17175 or higher.
- Micromodem 2 FPGA Firmware: The Micromodem DSP and FPGA firmware are a matched set to ensure proper functionality. The Micromodem FPGA firmware version is dependent on the BOM variant and revision of the board to be upgraded. The BOM variant and version can be seen on the serial number label on the Micromodem DSP (Label Example: M3-S-0-AA2 SN1335 shows the BOM variant as M and the revision as 3). If the Micromodem DSP is not immediately accessible, the same information can be queried via the $CCCFQ,info command over the Micromodem serial port.
- M1 and L1 Micromodem 2: Use Micromodem FPGA firmware 33432 only.
- M3 and L3 Micromodem 2: Use Micromodem FPGA firmware 34918 or newer.
- Micromodem FPGA firmware can typically only be upgraded at WHOI. Please contact Keenan Ball at email@example.com for additional information.
- ACOMMS Firmware Update Guide
The Micromodem DSP and FPGA firmware versions listed above are the minimum recommended for all Digital Transponder Based Micromodem systems. The firmware versions above provide additional signalling to improve reliability of Digital Transponder Based hardware.
Micromodem 1.3 Firmware:
The Micromodem 1.3 firmware can be upgraded via modem serial port. There are different versions to chose, and in some cases a custom firmware build is required, with project-specific features. Custom firmware builds may be available for your application. The Micromodem and Co-processor Firmware Programming Tutorial covers direct cable and in-situ firmware programming of the Micro-modem and Micromodem Coprocessor.
- AUV-0.94.0.01 is the latest stable and feature-complete general firmware release as of 2011-05-16. This release is for 201002 Micromodems
(i.e. 1.3, 1.3b, 1.3c or newer revisions) with bootloader version 1.3.2 or higher. 201002 Micromodems with bootloader version 1.3.0 can be upgraded at WHOI at no cost to the user. Older 201001 Micromodem hardware (i.e. v1.1, v1.1b) is no longer supported by WHOI. Please contact Keenan Ball at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional upgrade information.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If your modem is equipped with a 203004 Coprocessor you must upgrade the coprocessor firmware to PSK-0-10-0-46 or newer when you upgrade to modem firmware to AUV-0-93-34 or newer to maintain proper functionality.
REMUS Ranger NOTE: When upgrading the modem firmware in a REMUS Ranger with AUV-0-94-0-01 or newer please make sure to set the NVRAM parameter EDR = 1. This will ensure proper legacy message timing in the REMUS Ranger system.
Micromodem Co-Processor Firmware:
The Micromodem coprocessor firmware can also be upgraded via the modem serial port using an application that can be installed and executed on the Micromodem 1.3. The Micromodem will need bootloader version 1.3.2 or higher and a coprocessor with PLD version 3. Please contact Keenan Ball at email@example.com for additional upgrade information.
- PSK-0.10.0.46 is the latest stable and feature-complete general firmware release for Micromodem 1.3 systems. ONLY available via email.
- cpflash-0-01-0-03 is the downloader application for programming firmware on the Co-Processor via the Micromodem 1.3.
- 0.30.0.32831 is the latest stable and feature complete general firmware release for Micromodem 2.0 Coprocessor systems.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If your modem is equipped with a 203004 Coprocessor you must upgrade the coprocessor firmware to PSK-0-10-0-46 or newer when you upgrade to Micromodem 1.3 firmware to AUV-0-93-34 or newer to maintain proper functionality.
Micromodem Forward / Backward Firmware Compatibility:
The Micromodem is a continuously evolving system. Over the course of time certain standards and functionality must be updated for better performance or usability. While we strive to maintain compatibility across all generations of Micromodem hardware and firmware, there are a few discontinuities that users should be aware of .
Here are some explanations of the most critical incompatibilities and features:
4-bit vs 7-bit addressing using FSK Rate 0:
With more and more exercises and installations requiring large numbers of modem systems in the water at one time, the 16 addresses (4-bit) that were originally available are no longer enough. Newer firmware versions now support 7-bit addressing. However, there are incompatibilities when operating a mix of hardware running 4-bit and 7-bit firmware.
A table of some of the incompatibilities is shown below.
|TX Old Firmware
|TX New Firmware
|RX Old Firmware
|RX New Firmware
The point of departure from 4-bit to 7-bit addressing is detailed in the table below:
|4-bit Firmware Versions
|7-bit Firmware Versions
|AUV-0-92-0-75 and older
|AUV-0-92-0-76 and newer
The typical symptom that is observed is that 16 will be added to the destination address.
PSK (all rates) compatibility:
All Micromodem hardware and firmware versions can transmit PSK. However, the format of the PSK communication scheme has changed over time and is no longer forward or backwards compatible.
|Old PSK with FSK Cycle Init
|New PSK with Integrated Cycle Init
|AUV-0-92-0-14 or older
|AUV-0-92-0-15 or newer
|PSK-0-10-0-20 or older
|PSK-0-10-0-21 or newer
All Micromodem 1.3 firmware versions do not support in-situ programming. All Micromodem 1.3 firmware versions AUV-0-92-0-28 or newer that have BRN and BSP NVRAM parameters supports in-situ programming. The Micromodem 1.3 bootloader version must be version 1.3.2 or newer to support in-situ programming.
Hardware Versions and Firmware:
The 1.1 and 1.1b Micromodem hardware is not compatible with the 1.3 firmware and should not be upgraded nor should the v1.3 boards be downgraded.
Firmware version AUV13-0-90-39 was the first version available for the Micromodem 1.3.
Micromodem 2.0 firmware cannot be used on Micromodem 1.3 hardware. Micromodem 1.3 hardware cannot be used on Micromodem 2.0 hardware.